Traditional fluffy Chinese steamed buns, perfect for dipping into chilli crab sauce or shape into round buns instead of cutting to use for bao sliders.
250g plain flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp caster sugar
130ml warm water
Pinch of salt
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl then add the water. Bring together to a dough and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead a little to remove any air bubbles. Cut the dough in half, roll each half into a log shape about 2 inches thick. Using a sharp knife, cut each length of dough into 1 inch pieces. (you can make bigger or smaller buns if you wish).
- Place into a steamer basket lined with baking paper, spacing out a little. Cover and leave to prove for 20 minutes.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and steam the mantou for around 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
N.B. For Fried Mantou – after steaming, heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan and fry the mantou for a few minutes, turning to brown on all sides; drain on kitchen paper. Perfect to serve with Chilli Crab!