June 29, 2021
Black Cod with Macadamias, Baby Leeks, Cabbage & Chicken Butter Sauce
Want to wow your friends and family with your chef skills? This fabulous black cod dish will give you that restaurant feeling in your own home. Our black cod are sold whole, but you can request to have it filleted and portioned by the Reach team.
Serves 4 Cooking Time: 45 mins (plus 1hr resting time)
For the cod:
70g unsalted butter
150g macadamia nuts
1 spring cabbage, finely shredded
For the Sauce:
200g cold unsalted butter, diced
150ml chicken stock
2 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp white wine
150g baby leeks, trimmed & washed
Juice of half a lemon
A handful of chopped tarragon
- First make the macadamia topping. In a food processor, blitz the nuts until they resemble breadcrumbs, then mix them with the breadcrumbs.
- Melt the 70g of butter in a pan over a medium heat, once it starts foaming add the breadcrumb mixture and stir to coat it in the melted butter. Allow the mixture to fry a little until it starts to smell nutty. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture onto one half of a large sheet of baking paper.
- Fold the other half of the baking paper over the mixture and flatten using your hands or a rolling pin until about ½ cm thick – you’re going to cut this later to place on top of the fish so try to make it vaguely rectangular if you can. Place in the fridge to cool for 1 hour.
- Make the chicken butter sauce by heating a little olive oil in a pan and gently cooking the leeks for 5 minutes. Add the wine, stock & cream and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add a couple of cubes of butter stirring until it is mixed in before adding a little more butter. Continue adding the butter until it is all mixed in. Stir in the tarragon and season with lemon juice and salt, keep warm until ready to serve.
- Pre-heat your grill to a medium/hot setting. Before adding the topping, first steam the fish for 5 minutes.
- Next, remove the macadamia sheet from the fridge, unfold the baking paper and place the steamed black cod fillets skin side down on the topping. Cut around the shape of the fillets then turn them skin side up with the topping and place onto a lightly oiled baking tray. Place under the grill for another 5 minutes until the fish is cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
- While the fish is under the grill, heat some olive oil in a pan and add the shredded cabbage, stir then cover with a lid and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until the cabbage is wilted, season with a little salt and lemon juice.
- To serve the dish, spoon some cabbage onto the centre of your plate then top with a few leeks and pour some of the sauce on and around the cabbage; finally, top with a fillet of black cod and enjoy!